This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more
Take your next movie night to new levels of fun with these 100+ movie trivia questions, perfect for putting everyone’s knowledge of all things big screen to the test in a simple and enjoyable way.
Movie Trivia Questions (and Answers)
Easy Movie Trivia Questions (and Answers)
1. Who played the protagonist ‘Rose’ in the famous 90’s movie Titanic?
Answer: Kate Winslet.
2. What does Charles Foster Kane says as he dies in Citizen Kane?
3. What’s the name of the famous skyscraper in Die Hard?
Answer: Nakatomi Plaza.
4. Which real-life Hollywood power couple starred in the movie Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?
Answer: Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.
5. The head of which animal famously appears in a bed in gangster movie, The Godfather?
Answer: A horse.
6. In which movie does Robert Deniro say the most iconic line of his acting career – ‘You talkin’ to me?’
Answer: Taxi Driver.
7. The films Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, and Pulp Fiction, were all directed by which famous director?
Answer: Quentin Tarantino.
8. What’s the name of the famous family classic that features an alien who crashes down on Earth and is hidden by the children of an American family?
9. Which LA landmark features extensively as a location in the James Dean film Rebel Without a Cause?
Answer: Griffith Observatory.
10. Which 1994 crime film revolutionized John Travolta’s waning career?
Answer: Pulp Fiction.
11. In the famous Alfred Hitchcock movie, Psycho, where was the protagonist brutally murdered?
Answer: In the shower.
12. In the war film Apocalypse Now, what does Robert Duvall love the smell of in the mornings?
13. Who plays the iconic character Forrest Grump in the movie of the same name?
Answer: Tom Hanks.
14. Which character from Toy Story says the famous catchphrase ‘To infinity and beyond!’?
Answer: Buzz Lightyear.
15. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal star in which famous romantic comedy?
Answer: When Harry Met Sally.
16. In The Matrix, what color are the two pills that Morpheus asks Neo to choose between?
Answer: Red and blue.
17. Which movie poster features an image of a women with a butterfly over her mouth?
Answer: The Silence of the Lambs.
18. In the movie Shrek, what’s Princess Fiona’s big secret?
Answer: She turns into an ogre at night.
19. What’s the name of the iconic musical hit from Disney film, Frozen?
Answer: Let It Go.
20. What animal is Babe in the movie Babe?
Answer: A pig.
Hard Movie Trivia Questions (and Answers)
21. What’s Matilda’s last name in the movie Matilda?
22. In the Harry Potter films, what was Lord Voldemort’s real name before he changed it?
Answer: Tom Marvolo Riddle.
23. In what year did Leonardo DiCaprio finally win an Oscar, and what film was the Oscar for?
Answer: 2016. The movie was The Revenant.
24. In the Alfred Hitchcock film, Dial M for Murder, which blonde starlet plays the woman at the center of the attempted murder?
Answer: Grace Kelly.
25. Who was the only person to ever receive an Oscar nomination for acting in a Star Wars movie?
Answer: Alec Guinness.
26. What’s the name of Meatloaf’s character in The Rocky Horror Picture Show?
27. What’s the name of the fictional place in which the Disney film Frozen takes place?
28. What’s the name of the female protagonist played by Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
Answer: Clementine Kruczynski.
29. What language is the film Pan’s Labyrinth in?
30. Which film from the Final Destination movies features deaths taking place on a rollercoaster?
Answer: Final Destination 3.
31. In the film 13 Going On 30, what does Jenna Rink (played by Jennifer Garner) pray for on her 13th birthday?
Answer: To be 30, flirty, and thriving.
32. Which real-life person does Leonardo DiCaprio depict in The Wolf of Wall Street?
Answer: Jordan Belfort.
33. In The Princess Diaries, which fictional country does Mia discover she is actually the Princess of?
34. In Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire, what is the name of the tournament that Harry is entered into against his will?
Answer: The Triwizard Tournament.
35. How many versions are there of A Star is Born?
Answer: Four. The most recent one was released in 2018, starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.
36. What are the names of the two main characters in the romance film, The Notebook?
Answer: Noah and Ally.
37. Which well-known British musician created many of the songs on The Lion King soundtrack, including The Circle of Life?
Answer: Elton John.
Superhero Movie Trivia Questions (and Answers)
38. Which superhero has the nickname ‘the man of steel’?
39. What is Batman’s real name?
Answer: Bruce Wayne.
40. In which year was the first Marvel film released?
Answer: 2008. The first film the company released was Iron Man.
41. Which famous female superhero is often romantically associated with Batman?
42. What is the name of the vehicle that Batman famously uses to travel?
Answer: The Batmobile.
45. How did Spiderman get his superpowers?
Answer: He was bitten by a radioactive spider.
46. Which superhero is known for having bulletproof bracelets?
Answer: Wonder Woman.
47. Which comic book publisher and American entertainment company made the popular movie Guardians of the Galaxy?
48. Which character can calm The Hulk?
Answer: Betty Ross.
49. Which famous actor who later passed away played The Joker in The Dark Knight?
Answer: Heath Ledger.
50. When was the first X-Men movie released?
Answer: The first X-Men film (simply called X-Men) was released in 2000.
51. In the movie Batman Forever, which famous Hollywood actor played Riddler?
Answer: Jim Carrey.
52. Who killed the parents of Tony Stark (Iron Man)?
Answer: The Winter Soldier.
53. Which superhero gets his power from a ring?
Answer: The Green Lantern.
54. What is Deadpool’s real name?
Answer: Wade Wilson.
Academy Award-Winning and Nominated Movies Trivia Questions (and Answers)
55. Which movie won the 2017 Oscar for Best Picture?
Answer: The Shape of Water.
56. In which year did the first Academy Awards take place?
57. Which movie won the first-ever Oscar for Best Picture?
58. Which movie was the first color film to win an Oscar in 1940?
Answer: Gone With the Wind.
59. Who was the youngest person to ever win an Oscar at the age of 10, and what film did they win it for acting in?
Answer: Tatum O’Neal for her role in the film Paper Moon.
60. Which two actresses tied for the award for Best Actress at the 1968 Academy Awards?
Answer: Katharine Hepburn and Barbra Streisand.
61. How much does an Oscar trophy actually weigh?
Answer: 8.5 pounds (∼ 3.85 kg).
62. Which two movies are tied at the top spot for most Oscar nominations ever?
Answer: All About Eve and Titanic.
63. Which actress won the award for Best Actress in her first-ever movie performance?
Answer: Julie Andrews, for the film Mary Poppins.
64. What was the first animated film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture?
Answer: Beauty and the Beast.
65. Who was the first African American actor to ever win an Academy Award?
Answer: Hattie McDaniel.
66. Which famous film franchise about The Mafia has won multiple awards for Best Picture?
Answer: The Godfather.
67. Which non-US country has won the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film the most times?
68. Which South Korean movie won the Oscar for Best Picture in 2019?
More Movie Trivia Questions (and Answers)
69. Who plays the first person to appear in the movie Scream, who dies in the first 10 minutes of the movie?
Answer: Drew Barrymore.
70. What’s the highest-grossing movie of all time?
71. Who directed the hit 90’s movie Jurassic Park?
Answer: Steven Spielberg.
72. Which member of the cast or crew actually drew the sketch of Rose in Titanic?
Answer: James Cameron, the director.
73. In which country were The Lord of The Rings movies filmed?
Answer: New Zealand.
74. Who directed the hit horror films Get Out, Nope, and Us?
Answer: Jordan Peele.
75. What brand of underwear does Marty McFly wear in Back to the Future, which other characters mistake for his name?
Answer: Calvin Klein.
76. Which university does Elle Woods attend in Legally Blonde?
Answer: Harvard Law School.
77. Which famous children’s cartoon show was turned into a live action film in 2002, starring famous couple Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr?
Answer: Scooby Doo.
78. Who played Bruce Wayne in the 2022 version of The Batman?
Answer: Robert Pattinson.
79. Who plays Shrek’s trusty sidekick, Donkey?
Answer: Eddie Murphy.
80. What type of creature is Frodo from The Lord of the Rings trilogy?
Answer: A hobbit.
81. In the Christmas film, Love Actually, how does Emma Thompson’s character find out that her husband is having an affair?
Answer: She finds a necklace he bought for another woman.
82. What’s Edward and his family’s surname in Twilight?
83. In Aladdin, what is Aladdin caught stealing and kicked out of the town for?
Answer: A loaf of bread.
84. In Home Alone, where are the McAllister family going on vacation when they accidentally leave Kevin in the house alone?
85. Which actor has played James Bond in the most James Bond movies?
Answer: Roger Moore.
86. Which Disney princess dressed up and fought as a man in order to save her father?
87. Which character (played by Kevin Spacey) was at the center of the main twist in The Usual Suspects?
Answer: Keyser Soze.
88. In The Shining, what does the phrase red rum mean?
Answer: Red rum is murder spelled backward.
89. What movie is the famous line “Here’s looking at you, kid” from?
90. What movie is the famous line “I’ll be back” from?
Answer: The Terminator.
91. What movie is the famous line “I am your father” from?
Answer: Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980).
92. What movie is the line “Nobody puts Baby in the corner” from?
Answer: Dirty Dancing.
93. What movie is the line “I feel the need… the need for speed” from?
Answer: Top Gun (1986).
94. What movie is the line “I’m king of the world” from?
95. What movie is the line “You can’t handle the truth!” from?
Answer: A Few Good Men.
96. What movie is the line “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” from?
Answer: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
97. What movie is the line “There’s no place like home” from?
Answer: The Wizard of Oz.
98. What movie is the line “Hasta la vista, baby” from?
Answer: Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
99. What movie is the line “I’ll have what she’s having” from?
Answer: When Harry Met Sally.
100. What was the first movie to gross over $1 billion at the box office worldwide?
101. What was the first movie to gross over $2 billion at the box office worldwide?
Whether you casually answer these questions on the sofa with your partner or run a gameshow-style competition with plenty of people, these movie trivia questions are great for a fun night in.
Print them off, read them from the screen, and even get inspired to come up with your own. For now, though, my list gives you plenty of thought-provoking questions across a range of movie genres.
You Might Also Like to Read
- Best Movie Night Gift Basket DIY Ideas
- 100 Christmas Movies to Watch this Holiday Season (the Ultimate Christmas Movie Bucket List)
- The Only Halloween Movie Bucket List You Need (100+ Halloween Movies to Watch)
Keep these movia trivia questions on-hand, ready for a night of fun and testing your movie knowledge, by saving this article to one of your party planning boards.